Anti-Bullying and Harrassment

The School Has A Duty To Protect Children At School.

Safe School Climate Law

  • A person cannot harass others.
  • A person cannot intimidate others.
  • A person cannot bully others.
  • A person cannot retaliate or falsely accuse a victim, witness or informant.
  • School employees, students, volunteers and anyone with information must report incidents.
  • The school district must have a policy on protecting students.

There are four ways to deal with a bully:

  • Code of conduct
  • Safe School Climate Law
  • Mandatory reporting of crimes
  • Civil Lawsuits (if you have damages or the school refuses to follow the laws)

The School Must Call the Police

School officials must call the police right away if they know that someone has done or is going to do something at school that injures someone or damages property.

Police officers have discretion and may or may not respond how you want.

What Can You Do if the School Does Not Call the Police?

Try to file charges at the police department.

You can report the incident to the School Board in writing or at a board meeting.

You can seek an attorney to get the school to report the incident to the police.

If an attorney must file papers in court, you can get back your attorney fees and court costs.

Helpful Tips

  • Report the problem if you want help.
  • If you do not get help, report the problem in writing and keep a copy.
  • Be persistent. Do not give up.
  • Make sure that the school knows about everything that happened.
  • The school must be told whenever your child is afraid to attend class or school.

More Questions?
This brochure provides general information about anti-bullying and harassment. If you have more questions or want advice on your specific situation, you should talk to an attorney.

Education Cases Accepted

  • Access to Education
  • Access to School Records
  • Bullying/Harassment
  • Individualized Education Plans (IEP)
  • School Attendance
  • School Enrollment & Fees
  • School Record Disputes
  • Special Education
  • Suspension/Expulsion
Other Legal Representation

  • Consumer & Bankruptcy
  • Education
  • Employment
  • Family
  • Federal Income Tax
  • Housing
  • Migrant Farm Workers
  • Probate

Additional information may be found at:
South Carolina’s guide to free legal resources

This brochure was prepared by South Carolina Legal Services and is provided as a public service. Copyright retained by South Carolina Legal Services. Printed March 2010


South Carolina Legal Services is a statewide law firm that provides civil legal services to protect the rights and represent the interests of low-income South Carolinians.


All low-income South Carolinians will have full and fair access to justice.

Contact Us

Apply Online

Download PDF